Pilates is a form of low-impact exercise regime that focuses on building strength, flexibility, and endurance. It is a great way to improve your physical fitness and overall wellbeing. If you want to try Pilates as a newcomer, this article will help you get started.
Here’s a beginner’s guide to get you started:
Equipment and Clothing
Pilates can be practiced with little to no equipment. A mat is the only essential item needed to practice pilates at home or at a studio. Some pilates exercises involve small equipment like foam rollers, resistance bands, and exercise balls to add variety to workouts. Since pilates involves a lot of stretching and bending, it’s essential to wear comfortable, form-fitting clothing that allows for easy movement, like leggings, tank tops, and supportive sports bras.
Basic Pilates Exercises
There are several basic pilates exercises that you can do at home or in a studio with a certified pilates instructor. Here are a few examples:
- The Hundred: Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Lift your head, neck, and shoulders off the mat and reach your arms out in front of you. Pump your arms up and down while inhaling for five counts and exhaling for five counts, for a total of 100 pumps.
- Roll-Up: Lie on your back with your arms overhead and your legs straight on the mat. Slowly lift your head and roll up one vertebra at a time until you’re sitting upright. Then slowly roll back down to the starting position.
- Plank: Start on your hands and knees with your wrists directly underneath your shoulders. Straighten your legs behind you and engage your core to hold your body in a straight line from head to toe.
- Bridge: Lie on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Lift your hips up towards the ceiling while squeezing your glutes and engaging your core.
Now that we have covered a beginner’s guide, we list some benefits of practicing pilates.
Benefits of Pilates
There are numerous benefits to practicing pilates. It can help improve posture, reduce stress, increase flexibility, build strength, and enhance overall fitness levels. Pilates also targets the deep postural muscles, which can help alleviate back pain and other musculoskeletal issues. Here are some of the benefits of pilates:
- One of the primary benefits of Pilates is improved core strength. By strengthening your core, you’ll have better balance and stability.
- Pilates exercises are designed to stretch and lengthen muscles, which can help to increase your range of motion and flexibility.
- Pilates focuses on deep, controlled breathing, which can help to improve your lung capacity and oxygen intake. Which supplies your body with more oxygen, reduces stress, increases energy levels and benefits your body overall.
- Pilates is also an excellent form of exercise for reducing stress. The controlled movements and breathing techniques help to calm the mind and relax the body.
- Pilates can help to improve your posture by strengthening your core, which supports your spine and helps to align your body.
- The controlled movements help to activate and isolate specific muscle groups, which can help to increase muscle tone and definition.
In conclusion, Pilates is an excellent way to improve your fitness level and overall well-being. With its many benefits, including improved core strength, enhanced flexibility, reduced stress, improved posture, increased muscle tone, improved balance and coordination, and increased overall fitness, it’s no wonder that Pilates has become so popular. If you’re looking for a low-impact workout that will help you build strength and endurance while reducing stress and tension, then Pilates may be just what you need.
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for a qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.